Call One Old Friend This Holiday Season. Just One

Welcome to the blog, today's post is continuing the the theme of this week, ending the year well.  Check out Last Monday's and Wednesday's blogs for some ideas to end the year well, and at least check out the photos!   Gotta love natural beauty.... like this photo:

person standing by waterfall and the river flowing from it in daylight
Photo by Oliver Sjöström on Unsplash

Catching Up with Bill

I got a call a week or two ago from one of my first college roomies, James.  It was great to actually talk, rather than swap posts online.  I got a text from a former colleague, Gary this week, and I just smiled remembering making each other laugh in work meetings.  These contacts were totally unexpected and brought me joy.

Anyhoo,  I just got off the phone with a friend and colleague from my career that I hadn't talked to in about 2 years.  He has moved to another state, but he inspired me this year in his podcast, The Origination Point, to use anchor.fm's podcasting service to launch my podcast, Man in Many Roles and I wanted to let him know how he'd inspired me and that I'd like to have him on my show.

It wasn't a long conversation, it was good to catch up, like a Sunday visit.  There was joy and enthusiasm in our voices.  We just enjoyed each other's company, swapping stories.  I wanted to validate his impact on me, and tell him why I appreciated him.  And I heard him say, "Oh, well, thank you!"  Priceless.  Just validating that someone is special to us has a powerful impact on them.  I think the impact is increased because validation happens so rarely.  And this is very likely because we are busy, distracted, and ungrateful.  To the degree we slow down, are present, and practice gratitude, more old friends will come to mind.  More grace in our hearts will surface (both for ourselves and others).  And those we appreciate in real-time by phone or video call will benefit so much!  In Bill's case, I validated that he lives out what he teaches, and he does hard work that I have benefitted and grown from.  He is a great listener and a works hard on the hard work of reducing bias, and making the world a more human and humane place.  He is a champion for equity on a person by person level, and those are some of the reasons why I appreciate him.  

He said something I'm sure we've all thought when we have had to move away from a beloved place to a new one: "You find out who your friends are when you move."

Make That Call.  Just One.

Who has moved away?  Who do you miss?  Who taught you something useful when you were new to a job or career?  Who was there for you 10 or 15 years ago?  There is someone from your life story that was a helpful character.

So give him or her a call.  Just one, no pressure.  But I really believe it will feel good, even if you only leave a voicemail.  But call... don't text. Call.  Let them hear your sincere appreciation, a great memory, a precious moment you shared, or a way that they shine.  Be specific, sincere and grateful, and you can't go wrong.

That call I've got you thinking about could be the best part of your December.  Or theirs.

New content every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday right here at manyroles.com or the podcast.  Follow me @maninmanyroles on Twitter, and/or subscribe via email using the button at the top of this page.



Comments