Songs for Terrible Times: Song 2: P E A C E

Peace, by Hillsong

The Playlist
HERE is the YouTube Playlist that I am creating and adding to each day, adding songs from the blogs I will put out.

I Really Enjoy



Reflections
What I love in this song is a few images:
"I stand tall on each promise you made"

"Dare anxiety come I'll remember/ That Peace is a promise You keep" Peace is a promise directly from God!  Not a promise of a pain-free life, but peace, centeredness, groundedness.  Even in storms and madness, we can have a peace far beyond understanding.  Peace that passes understanding (Phillipians 4:7). Our hearts need peace right now, and often in "normal" times when there is not a global pandemic.

The last lines are my favorite:
"All anxiety bows in the presence 
Of Jesus the Keeper of Peace 
And peace is a promise He keeps"

Jesus keeps his promise!  Anxiety bows in the presence of Jesus!?!  What a great image.  All things currently stressing you out bow down, because Jesus is on the scene and by our side.  Whoa.  We need that image several times a day.  I know I do!

This song has been an incredible comfort in the midst of unprecedented work stress and difficulty and anxiety.  I hope it really helps you, dear reader, in your terrible times.

Power Thoughts in the Song
The song explores 3 power thoughts in its three verses.

  1. God offers peace when lies come: lies from others and lies from our own thoughts and hearts.
  2. God offers peace in times of havoc when things just don't make sense
  3. Third power thought is the celebration of feeling power or at least companionship from God in the midst of anxiety. It is a prayer for the peace to return in tough times: "Let it flow when my mind's under siege"




Original Lyrics

VERSE 1: 
You will stay true  
Even when the lies come
Your Word remains truth  
Even when my thoughts don’t line up 
I will stand tall on each promise you made,  
Let the rest fade away 

CHORUS: 
There's a peace far beyond all understanding
May it ever set my heart at ease 
Dare anxiety come I'll remember 
That Peace is a promise You keep 
Peace is a promise You keep 

VERSE 2:
You will stay true  
Even in the chaos 
Your Word remains truth  
Even when my mind wreaks havoc 
I will be still for I’ve known all along  
My Jehovah Shalom 

CHORUS 2:
There's a peace far beyond all understanding 
May it ever set my heart at ease 
What anxiety fails to remember 
Is Peace is a promise You keep 
Peace is a promise You keep

REPRISE:
Peace to a restless soul 
Peace when my thoughts wage war
Peace to the anxious heart  
Peace when I feel enclosed  
Peace when I lose control 
Peace when my fear takes hold 
Peace to a restless soul 

CHORUS 3:
I've found peace far beyond all understanding 
Let it flow when my mind's under siege 
All anxiety bows in the presence 
Of Jesus the Keeper of Peace 
And peace is a promise He keeps

More blog content Mondays and Wednesdays, new podcasts Fridays.  Follow @maninmanyroles on Twitter.  Subscribe to email notifications using the button at the top of this page. Please comment below what was helpful to you.


The latest Man in Many Roles Podcast:

Comments