Follower: I Want to Be A Follower When I Grow Up!

Anthony Da Cruz on Unsplash
Anthony Da Cruz on Unsplash

Who wants their kid to be the best follower?  What was the last movie that glorified the follower?  What handsome actor should be cast as the leading role of a supporter?

Following is not glam, not valued.  It could be argued that kids born in the 21st century are utter followers, and just want what they want, including Twitter followers, FB likes, comments on all the other social media posts they make.  They want followers.  Oh yeah, and the new iphone as well.  Wait, that's too glitchy.  Glitchy is so, [cue the Jimmy Fallon teen girl accent] "ew".

As I thought about categories of this blog, I thought every man is a follower of someone (most likely, and most often, of self) and some things.  Then I realized following come first.  Following is foundational.  No one came out of thin air.  Nothing you have have or are came from a vacuum.  Who you and I are today is a product of the influence of thousands of people and hundreds of thousands of ideas and experiences.

How do we sort through whom and what we follow?  You want to be a leader?  Why? Oh, you don't want to lead? I invite you to share why, and I'd even more than that I'd love to hear who you think may have influenced your repulsion from leadership.



Please comment: If you are a leader, who did you follow to get to your current role as a leader?

Speaking of following, you can follow me @maninmanyroles on Twitter.

More blog content Mondays and Wednesdays, new podcasts Fridays.  Follow @maninmanyroles on Twitter.  Subscribe to email notifications using the button at the top of this page. Please comment below what was helpful to you.


The latest Man in Many Roles Podcast:

Comments