Leader: Barber Recommendation in West Centennial


August "Augie" Rios Runs a Great Barbershop on South Broadway in West Centennial 


He is easy to talk to, cuts hair well, and only charges $12 ($10 for my boys). But this isn't a testimonial or ad.  It struck me a few days ago about what is going on in the minds of grandparents. I am not a grandparent, but I hope to be. He was sharing about routines his grandkids follow when they come to his house. They have to wait for him to wake up, greet him and ask and answer questions in Spanish and then they can go do whatever. And his grandkids do it. He was proud and the guy in the chair shared that his grandkids also follow a tradition. Then Augie weighed in again: "It's not like it's for me it's just manners." This is what he values. Manners. Respect. Some traditions are good. Without it, his young grandkids may not speak much Spanish at all.  They wouldn't know how to relate to him or greet him. Traditions can be helpful in creating safety and connection.

I like Augie's barbershop for reasons like this--listening to older men (that's most of Augie's clientele at 6:00 a.m. When he opens every Wednesday Thursday and Friday) talking about life, finances, news and relationships. When you are in the chair, Augie focuses on you. Others weigh in, but generally speaking Augier elates to the man in the chair, and it's good. Really good.  I bring my boy in and Augie talks about cars. When I'm in the chair he asks about my wife and Jidda, the latest project in the house. He's got a connection to every story, but he doesn't make the conversation feel like it's about him. He just enjoys relating to people and cutting hair. He's probably In his 60s or 70s and he's full of life and stories. My boys and I enjoy going there and we always remember something from our time in the chair.

Barbershops are good for community, learning from older men who aren't family, feeling connected to community and for my sons to learn how to relate to grown ups. They are good for way more than hair when they are run the way Augie runs his shop, 3 days a week, because he likes to, from 6am to noon.

More blog content Mondays and Wednesdays, new podcasts Fridays.  Follow @maninmanyroles on Twitter.  Subscribe to email notifications using the button at the top of this page. Please comment below what was helpful to you.


The latest Man in Many Roles Podcast:

Comments